Donnerstag, September 07, 2006

Sweettooth Thursday II - Keiko Green Kiss Matcha Chews

These are part of last weeks bounty of sweet treats. Actually, I found several things made by Keiko, but I already tried these so they'll be reviewed first.
I first tried green tea sweets only a short while ago - maybe a month - so I was glad to come across several more. The first ones I had (which will probably be reviewed some other time) were hard candy, so I was delighted to find these chews.














As you can see in the picture, 1) the packaging is cute and stylish at the same time 2) the individual candies are wrapped in one of those starchy papers that you can eat with them and 3) there must be a third point because Western people just love the harmonious flow of that, so I'll just repeat how cute the packaging is - look, even on the individual wrappers...and such a beautiful green! Ok, enough about the decorative aspects. How do these taste?

I have to admit that I never had matcha tea before, and green tea only in the one variation I so far bought (which I love). I wouldn't even know where to find Matcha in this town. But well. Even though green tea isn't the same as any other green tea, there must be some similiarities, right? Right.

The important thing with these is that they're quite hard at the beginning (at least mine are, I suspect all are, because one whole bag of flukes would just be too much bad luck for a girl with a lucky turtle). Anyway, you've got to have these in your mouth for a while, to let the starchy paper melt away and to soften up the whole thing. The good thing is that the softening works very quickly, and then you get the beautiful taste of green tea. And you can chew your heart out for a couple of minutes, which is a bonus for me. Here we again reach a negative - it really does only last for a couple of minutes (if you do chew, I suspect that if you just use it like hard candy it will take a little longer to vanish). Here again another good thing - the aftertaste lasts you for a while. No more chewing, but some lovely green tea taste left anyway. Mhhh.

The packaging says something about them being the perfect perk-me-up. I just had one so if I feel any more awake until I finish writing it probably works. ;)

The company, as I said, is called Keiko, go to their American site here. (The link given on the packaging is apparently not current anymore.) It's a Japanese company, and the chews are made in Japan (says my bag, at least, not that much info on the site). They're speciality is, quite evidently, matcha, which they sell as the green tea powder that it is, but also use for all sorts of sweets, like the chews I just reviewed.
They have loads of stuff I haven't bought yet, because, I have to admit, these aren't that cheap. My bag of 50g cost me €3.90, and I guess there were around 10 or 11 pieces in there. Not that many! But tasty nonetheless. :)

For all my Austrian readers (hehe, who am I kidding), I got these at Heissenberger in my lovely hometown, but I guess all of their stores might carry these. For all other readers, I have no clue, sorry, but I guess you could write them via their email address and ask. They seem to exist in the US and Canada, at least, and I admit I haven't checked for other countries. You might also be able to order them online.

I admit I'm not as hot on these as on the ginger (stupid pun, sorry, not intentional), but they're certainly nice and fresh, and as a form of portable green tea, they're great! (More intense than the hard candies I tried, definitely.)
So, I hope I found you green tea lovers something new to try out! Enjoy. :)

Keine Kommentare: