Donnerstag, August 31, 2006

Sweettooth Thursday I - Sunny Ville Golden Ginger

On Monday I went shopping with a friend. She wanted to buy presents to give to people in China, and I mainly wanted to accompany her for a chat.
Instead, I ended up discovering all these fantastic treats so that I almost ended up buying more than she did. Almost.
Now, I've read Candy Blog with huge enjoyment for the past 9 months, I've read the fun things about Japanese Candy that Anjali puts up on Giant Jeans Parlor, and finding these great candy treats has now given me the excuse to write my own candy reviews.
Let me explain first, this is going to be nothing like Cybele's reviews. I have no clue about wine, and my dedication to sweets isn't quite as high as hers (although I love to eat them, of course).
But nevertheless, I will do my best to give both objective info and my own opinion; and maybe I'll find something that's new to more "experienced" candy connoisseurs.*
___ ___ ___

For today, let me review this fantastic little can of goodness that I found in a rather newly opened store that combines coffee shop with sugary goodness and ALL the things a lover of cats could ever want. What a combination! I loved it. ;)


















These are simple ginger candies. I say simple since there's nothing in there but sugar, corn syrup and ginger root extract. No additives, no colouring, nothing. Excellent! That results in you getting just that: The perfect yummy taste of ginger, with a little sweetness. It's all there, the smell, the taste, the light burn on your tongue. I never had any sort of ginger sweet before, and I fell in love with these immediately. There's around 150g in one box, so I'll be happy for a long time to come yet. :)

The box says they are made in Indonesia, from Java Ginger. I have no clue about whether that denotes a special quality of ginger, if someone knows, please enlighten me. They are imported from there by a German company (Biffar), and as far as I found out, are only available in a select few countries in Europe. If they're imported to somewhere else by other importers, I didn't find out about that.
I tried looking for information about this candy on the internet, but the only page I can find is that of the import company. If anyone's interested in their page, go here. It has some info on ginger as well as other things. Funnily enough, this candy isn't listed on their page, probably because they don't produce it themselves.

Anyway, if you happen to find these somewhere, and have some liking (or love!) of ginger, do give these a try! And if you need any further encouragement to buy them, here's what it says on the packaging:

Its unique, natural flavour is soothing to the throat and makes you feel zesty pleasantly warm!

And who doesn't want to feel pleasantly warm in those autumn and winter months to come... ;)


* Yep, I had to look that one up...

4 Kommentare:

Anonym hat gesagt…

oh.. we have ginger sweets here (not fond of them but been told they are great). I gotta find some for you..

Anonym hat gesagt…

Java is one of the bigger islands in Indonesia. Hmm .. might have a look around at the Asian grocery ...

Fel hat gesagt…

Woot, ginger sweets! ^_^

Yeh, I know about Java being an Indonesian island, I just have no idea whether ginger coming from there is especially good or high qualitiy or whether there is a difference between ginger taste connected with where it comes from...

Anonym hat gesagt…

Oh my gawd, WHY did you show me the link to candy blog!? hehe, oh dear, I've closed the page already it's just too tempting! =P