Samstag, August 12, 2006

Beads

I love beads. I don't know since when. What I love most is to buy a bag full of mixed beads, and then to sort them while thinking up ways to use the weird and wonderful things I find therein.
Yesterday I went shopping and brought back two selections of beads: A green mix and a blue mix. There were quite a few gems in there, and simple but highly useful stuff as well. I started putting a few combinations together that I thought looked nice.














I might make those into keyrings or bookmarks, or I'll just keep the picture as a reminder and use them in a completely different way. Currently I'm for keeping them like this though.

Anyway. I was sitting at the table doing my stuff, when my mum came home. She saw those highly minimalistic combination thingies and went like this: "What are you doing there? Ohhh! Those look great! - - - Make me a necklace!" She then hurried to the drawer where she keeps her pretty jewellery things and brought out the one pictured below.














"Something like this, just in blue!" she said. And wondered aloud why she paid so much for her necklace, when I enlightened her that it was made out of glass beads and other nice stuff, while all I had at hand were plastic beads.

Well. Today I went shopping again (specifically for craft stuff, I blame the lousy weather, my current mood, and the vibe I caught from some swappers). I bought a white/bronze bead mix, some shiny metal-ish ones, and lots and lots of other stuff. Then I sat down and put together the following thing.














I say it turned out quite nice, if a bit shorter than the red one. I wonder how my mum will dig the plastic bead look, but hey, if she can and wants to wear it, there she goes! She'll be back home tomorrow, I'll keep you posted about her reaction. :)

Meanwhile, what do my kind readers (if I do have any) think?

Update: Well, my parents just came home, and my mum's kinda sick. She walked past the decoratively placed necklace several times, but then she did notice it! "Wow! Great! - - Is that for me?" I told her, well, of course, who else? "I thought you could make it for Christmas or something!" And then she immediately figured out the best way to wear it.
Ha, she wanted it for Christmas! Didn't reckon with my "I gotta do *something*" mood of yesterday. ;)

4 Kommentare:

Anonym hat gesagt…

Those necklaces are really nice. Where'd you learn that?

Fel hat gesagt…

Ooh. I just love putting beads on string, really. :)
I didn't make the red one, that one my mum bought.
Well, what I did is, I looked at the way the red one was made and tried to copy the basic design, but do it with my cheapy plastic beads. And it worked out fine! I just looked for nice combinations with colour and form.
I think it's basically down to the material...if you have nice beads, you can make nice things, even if you just string them on whatever way. ;)

Anonym hat gesagt…

They don't look so cheap at all. More like something you'd actually buy at a jeweller's.

Fel hat gesagt…

Hee, thanks! :)