Montag, Februar 20, 2012

Lent

Come Wednesday, Lent starts again. Last year, around this time, I fasted for around a week or so, drinking a lot of tea and juice and only eating rice and steamed veggies. It was...interesting (food never smells better than when you're not eating most of it), but I doubt whether it had a lasting effect on the way I eat, or my health. This year, I'd like to try something different - reducing and then ceasing my sugar intake for several weeks.

The way I reached this decision was one of those internet things again. There are a lot of blogs whose feed I receive, a long list in my Google Reader. There are some that I read regularly, but most, I just sometimes check them out. In this case, two weeks ago, late at night, working on a project but needing to take a break, I randomly clicked on one, and found that the author had dramatically reduced her sugar intake around this time last year, and had only good things to say about it.
This clicked with my dislike for any kind of dependency. I don't smoke, I don't drink much, I have problems accepting help because I think I should be able to do everything by myself, that kind of stuff. But I know I have this thing about sugar. And it's been annoying me for years.

So...this week should be week one, where I aim to reduce my intake. Which will probably only properly start on Wednesday, what with the festivities until then, plus the remaining sweet things in the house which need to be gotten rid of. So, two more days with lots of hot chocolate (and some of these, I guess), and then...reducing.

Keine Kommentare: