Donnerstag, Februar 08, 2007

Oh no! New obsession

Some people may already know the sad story about me and knitting. I was supposed to learn it in school (in first grade of highschool I think), but the project we did was so completely stupid and useless that my parents had to force me to do every little row. Then I guess a few years after that I once asked my mum to show me, although I can't really remember that. Then, last winter, before Christmas, I asked my best friend to show me again. Alas, two weeks later and I had forgotten again, or just become totally frustrated, I forget which.
Now, last year, I promised my mum a handknit scarf for Christmas - which she is yet to receive. Therefore (and for other reasons), I made it one of my personal goals (not resolutions :P) to learn how to knit this year. Still, nothing happened.
But! On Tuesday, during my sadly very short swap shopping trip, I went to buy some wool for my swap partner, and lo and behold, there in the sales bin was this beautiful variegated ball of yarn. I couldn't resist. I argued with myself about the futility of buying yet *more* yarn without being able to knit, but well, the sale won me over.
And yesterday evening, what did I do but steal some knitting needles from my mum, get out my lovely new (Christmas present!) Stitch'n Bitch book, and finally learn to cast on!
As it turns out, that seems to have been one of the things that kept me from knitting for years, as all the helpful people showing me how to knit always hurried through the casting on part like madwomen. :P
The second problem seems to have been the needles. I had always used those aluminium needles before...but yesterday I grabbed a pair of bamboo needles, and I LOVE them. I now already have around 40cms of pretty garter stitch scarf, and would have another few cms of pretty rib stitch scarf if I hadn't tried to do that one with those aluminium needles again. :P (Need more bamboo!)
Anyway, yesterday night, I almost couldn't stop with this knitting business, I was so excited about it all! I only put the things away when I started cursing at the aluminiums needles and frogged (such a lovely word!) the rib scarf for the third time in a row.

Seems like knitting has got me at last. And now I won't stop. If you don't hear from me again within the next two days (as I want to post some happy pictures, finally!), call the police, or maybe my mum, and tell her to rip those needles out of my hands! ;)

1 Kommentar:

Dy hat gesagt…

Don't you just love it when you find an new crafty obsession. Enjoy yourself!