Donnerstag, Oktober 19, 2006

Write your heart out 2006

...or NaNoWrimo 06, as it's usually called. ;)

As you can see, I have some time on my hands today for writing my long outstanding posts here - I stayed home from today's sports classes because of sore throat and headache, which I really don't want to develop into a proper cold. So I'm sitting here in my cuddliest warmest winter jumper, with scarf round my neck and a big pot of tea in front of me, doing my best to use the time well and do some reading for uni and writing for myself. :)

And this whole post is basically about writing for myself.

NaNoWriMo is a fantastic thing and I'm glad it exists. It entered my world in 2004 when a friend of mine posted about it in one of the forums I use.

Before I go on - what is this all about?
Well, it's about writing, quite simply, and about writing a lot in a short time. The thing is called "National Novel Writing Month", and even though it has been very international for a long time, the name as it is just works so nicely, they've kept it.
The goal for all those brave ones who sign up is to write 50,000 words of prose (fiction) in the month of November (ie 30 days). You have to start your story fresh from the start, so no continuing old stories. The purpose is to let yourself write without inhibitions. Don't worry about being perfect - just worry about reaching the right word count...that's enough worry for one month! I think Chris Baty (the crazy SF guy who invented the whole thing) says about it something like "writing with abandon" or something. As in, leave behind your inner editor and just write until your fingers hurt and your keyboard breaks down.

If anyone is still asking "Why would I want to do such a crazy thing?" here is my personal answer (you can find some answers on the Nano page as well):
Because it's fun. Because you will most probably surprise yourself. Because it has this great philosophy of not putting off good things forever but to throw yourself into what you love doing (ie writing for most of those who join in). Because the joy that finishing your novel brings will propel you along through all the winter dreariness and will boost your self-esteem through the roof. Because if you don't write this great story, noone will. Because imagination and creativity are such essential parts of our lives and usually live a sad underdog existence in our daily routines. Because you will meet people who share your passion. Because you will be inspired and inspire others. Did I mention it's excellent fun?

Now, let's continue with my own story:
In 2004 I had this great idea. I even knew how it was going to end. But I was missing an essential thing: A computer. I tried writing things by hand and then typing them when I had the chance, but duh - I failed miserably at around 12k. I still want to write that story someday, no matter how crazy it really is. (And it is, believe me.)

In 2005 I was in London. That alone was a very good and inspiring thing. Also, I had this library at hand with a pc lab that was accessible 24 hours a day. Yay for me! And so I wrote and wrote, with only three courses to do and no boyfriend or family demanding time away from the pc, and I finished my wonderful (crazy) 50k a few days before the deadline. I still have to write the ending though - and I will, soon.

This year of 2006 will be crazy (just like my stories, but not as nice I'm afraid). I'm doing lots of uni courses. I'm doing all the sporty stuff. I should be reading a whopping lot, and I think my professor would just be delighted if I did some work for my thesis. Also, I'm building myself some sort of social life now, very unusual as I didn't have such a lot of that for the past few years.
And - I will write this great and crazy story. Plus I will finish the story from last year. I will go mental around Nov 20 and have some nervous breakdown or scream at everyone who even so much as looks at me, but hey! ;)
On the computer front, all is well - I have my own notebook now, I have good access to the family pc...nothing to worry about anymore, thankfully!

I'm still trying to convince my surroundings to join in. My sister might be thinking about it, but as she has a lot to do as well and she's not as crazy as I am, she probably won't join...I'm working on convincing my best friend with the argument that she writes some stuff for her role-play character anyway...Tuesday evening she started musing about maybe writing one of the adventures down and that it would easily be enough material...so I'm still hopeful on that front.
Funnily enough, Meshell joined without knowing I did, so now we can kick each others behinds when we get, well, behind, which is great! ;)
I'm still thinking about putting up posters at uni etc. After all, I mentioned Nano in one of the articles I wrote for the spring edition of our departments magazine...noone sent me an email about that, but hey, maybe I just need to remind people a bit. Maybe I can bribe/convince the lecturer who does the Creative Writing course (which I did once, and we only have the one, and I don't have time for it now :P) to do some promotion in the course, that might help as well.
Anyone have any other ideas?

So, if anyone reading this has a glimmer of interest, but isn't too sure, let me know and I'll convince you. ;)

And if anyone wants to read what I produced in 2004 and 2005, hey, sure! Just don't expect a literary masterwork...rather, prepare for some crazy fantasy stuff with linguistic elements, and in the case of my later story, a good insight into what value shopping might have! ;D

3 Kommentare:

Anonym hat gesagt…

Yay for Nano! *dance*

Barbara you wrote a novel about shopping?...My hero. =P =P

Anonym hat gesagt…

Well, I have this long passage in it where my characters go shopping, yes. It's not the whole novel, but it's an important part of their adventure. ;)
A whole novel about shopping might be interesting too. :D

Anonym hat gesagt…

Barbara, I think this is just an awesome idea! If I weren't riding so many horses at once in this on-going circus of mine, I'd join in, too! Maybe next year. I wish you luck and energy and lots of MUSE!
Lori DeLozier
PS--Thanks for your notes on my blog. I'm always happy to see them!