Donnerstag, Oktober 19, 2006

Pretty little things

This is the earring post which I meant to write about two weeks ago...

The story goes like this: At around 14, I muse aloud about maybe having my ears pierced. My best friend promptly gives me some earrings as a present. After that, of course I had to have it done - even if I had changed my mind (I probably did still have some doubts back then). So, shortly after, when in town with my mum, she says "Hey, why not do it right now, right away?" And woopeduh, we're in the shop and I'm having holes shot into my ears. Ouch.
Even worse - I meet with my boyfriend in the evening and he's all like "Oh nooo, why the ears, oh my God, why did you do this?" etc. I feel like a complete idiot.
Result: For ten years I had my ears pierced, and for ten years I haven't really worn any earrings. Case closed.

And then, now, boyfriend gone (in German there is this nice expression for it which I'm not sure I can properly bring into English, so I'll leave it, but for the one German reader that already told me she's here (YAY) => "gegangen werden", ok? :D), I decide to indulge in a complete earring buying spree, and to wear them almost demonstratively...like a sign that the past is now truly over and done with.
Edit: Ok, I think the best translation I came up with is "he has been gone". Passive voice. Does that make sense?

So here are the results of my indulgence - all of them bought on Etsy.

Kathryn Riechert
These were the first ones I bought, and they're incredible! Kathryn wrote in her description that these are perfect for every day, and she's right! I could really wear these every day - if I hadn't bought such a lot of other ones! ;)
These are sterling silver, with little white pearls dangling beneath the discs. The detail on the discs was hand-hammered into them, and they really do reflect the light amazingly. I'm totally in love with them. :D


Patricia's Art
Of course I couldn't resist these! I mean, pearls! :D
I love these as they are pretty and not too extravagant while still being quite unusual. I think they're a little like me - not very loud but very interesting, ha! *makes herself look good*
At first I was worried that these would be too long for my comfort, but after wearing them for an evening I didn't even want to take them off anymore!
So, these are ceramic pearls with nice chinese designs on them (might be some I Ging stuff, but I'm not sure) and the slightly rosy pearls. Mhhh.

To stay a bit on the safe side I also bought the following two:

Funnily enough, I haven't worn these yet! No, I always went for the big and colourful ones instead of these safe and classic little pretties. Who would have thought?
Anyway, these are tiny, and both again with pearls (a word which I continually keep typing up as perals today :P).







Just a Tish
What can I say? Tish makes fantastic things! She selects the stones she uses by their character, ie their energies - if you believe in that kind of stuff. I do to some degree (*outs herself*).
She gives nice descriptions of what the stones she uses should help with.


These earrings, called Alice, use citrine and moonstone. This means they are good for intuition and for dispelling fear. Moonstone is a very feminine stone, too. :)
(If you're interested, you can look at her Items Sold list and check for details of what the stones can do.)


These are called Wink. ;)
Made of rutilated quartz and black/blue glass crystals.
Now, this quartz, if it fulfills everything it promises, then it should:
Get energy moving (good for me as I'm a lazy slob), assist with mental focus (which I sadly lack very often), and attracting love (a-HA!). Now, currently I mainly hope for some energy. Who knows, at some stage I might also hope for some love again. ;)

Now these are real fun. Called Catnip because Tish's cat was so fascinated with them! :D
I admit I haven't worn these yet as they're probably the most unusual ones I bought. Why should I wear them? Well, because they're fun of course, and because they might just help my memory and also with removing sorrow, both of which would be exceedingly good things. :)
(Stone is called carnelian, if anyone's interested.)


Danglebeads
Ok, so this is where I went a little crazy. Meshell had posted the ones she ordered on her blog, and I just fell in love. So of course I had to order my own, and try not to order the exact same ones that Meshell bought. Thankfully, that was quite an easy thing to do, as the selection is huge. Except for the red ones, I managed! :)

Of course I couldn't resist these as the colour was called "seamist green" and I'm an inland girl who is an ocean freak. :D
What is really fantastic about these is that when I had them I found out that one of the shirts I bought at some stage fits perfectly with a jumper I bought on a different date and the earrings match up perfectly with the colour of both of these! What a great coincidence! I might just be perfect at buying matching outfits when I don't bother about it! ;)

These are just nice and fresh and blue. Go perfect with another jumper of mine. What luck! :D







These are the red ones that I couldn't resist. Once I fit into my jeans again I will wear jeans, black jumper and these pretties....mhhh. :)






And I had to get hematite ones! Duh. But I bought different ones than Meshell did, so I'm ok, right?
Anyway, I haven't worn these yet because the only times I tried I was wearing a lot of black already, and it just looked too dark and dreary. I'm sure though that the perfect occasion for these will soon come my way.



These would be perfect for spring! Pity it's now October and cold. but I'm still wearing them! At least they remind me of spring. :)







And finally these. this is my absolutely most loved colour. I guess you could call it teal, or petrol, or bluegreen. I just love it, it's perfect! And so are these. On Tuesday I could get no useful outfit together, so I was wearing black and dark grey (ugh) and felt like an idiot for trying to put useful clothes together at 2.30am. So I put on these earrings and a scarf somewhat the same colour and felt a little better about it all.
But still, no more choosing clothes for the next day at that sort of time - I have no creativity and useful thoughts whatsoever at that stage I guess.

So, these are all the many great earrings I bought! I think it's 13 pairs or so. Wow.
But they've really paid off, I feel better when wearing some, not so boring etc, also like I at least did some little work on the way I look, which does wonders for my poor self-esteem.
Lastly, they are also great when I feel a little fidgety during class - I can just pull one of these from my ear and play around with them a bit. ;)

And that concludes this very very long review. Please check out all the pages/shops of the people I bought from, they make wonderful stuff!

5 Kommentare:

Anonym hat gesagt…

I am an earring fanatic! I just love all these earrings you bought. Especially the first one, with the beated silver discs!

Anonym hat gesagt…

I put the German translation into babelfish and it said "is gone." hehe.

Now I am confused...I thought YOU were Babs?! Babs that Kwoozy mentions and stuff...and now Babs has posted above me!? EEEP. So if you were wondering why I ever called you Babs, that is why, LOL =P

YAY for earrings! The elusive earrings...heh. That is hilarious that you were worrying about getting the same ones as me...so if we ever happen to meet up one night between Austria and Australia we wont be wearing the same earrings, thank goodness! LOL. I am so glad you bought the red ones, they are my absolute favourites =)

Anonym hat gesagt…

Well, there's me, Babs in Austria, and then there's her, Babs in California, and we did a swap in August because of that. ;D Kwoozy mentions both of us, but I think she refers to me as Barbara and to Babs as Babs. ;)

Well, about the German translation, let me paraphrase: I had him go, made him go, got rid of him, whatever you prefer. He didn't go of his own accord, I did that for him...right? :D

Heh yeah, well, I didn't want to copy your earring shopping, see? And yeah, should we ever run across each other... :D

Anonym hat gesagt…

My grandma's name is Barbara too! =)

Dawn hat gesagt…

Hey Barbara!!!
I have some really pretty sterling silver earrings that I think would look great for!! Email me so that I can tell you about them and so that we can set up for a gimmeyourstuff swap!!! Look forward to hearing from you!!
Dawn
EMAIL: dcwolfmom2ac@charter.net