Sonntag, Juli 15, 2012

Reading Roll

Since I'm sort of on a reading roll right now, and it feels immensely good, I decided to go through my shelves of unread books (MTBR in Bookcrossing speak) and pull some long-languishing pieces from them, to compile a sort of reading list for the next few weeks. What I've mainly been looking for are shortish things that I can read within a shortish amount of time - and then release (or keep if they are really excellent). This will help with several things: my reading goal for this year [since half the year is officially past, I did a count - I'm currently at 14 novels and 62 manga if I only count up to June, and 17 novels, 62 manga and 11 graphic novels (Neonomicon, 1 volume; Y: The Last Man, 10 volumes) if I add what I've already read in July (which is a lot, as you can see. I'm on a roll!). So, if I count the graphic novels as separate books, I'm at 28 books and 62 manga. If I don't, and count them as one book, I'm at 18 books. If I put graphic novels in a whole different category...well, yeah, 17 is not remotely close to the 26 I should be at. I guess definitions here are quite loose, and I could count them as books if I wanted to, but just for the sake of it, I could try and get to 52 books which are mostly text (even though that might just subtract even more from my 'books' number...grrrr). I don't know. I guess I'll just throw them into one pot, except for the manga - and Ijust realised this was supposed to be just a one-line count of what I've read so far...geez], clearing some space on my shelves, being more at peace with myself (because I really want to know more books! MORE!), getting new ideas for other projects, and who knows what else.
I don't need to read these in a particular order or anything, but I really want to get these read. Here they are:
  • Roald Dahl, The Witches (191 pages)
  • Jorge Luis Borges, Ficciones (174 pages) - I've started this twice but never read the whole thing :P
  • Iris Murdoch, A Severed Head (205 pages)
  • Paul Watzlawick, Anleitung zum Unglücklichsein (124 pages)
  • Märchen von Katzen (186 pages)
  • Truman Capote, Frühstück bei Tiffany (147 pages)
  • Khalil Gibran, Der Prophet (72 pages)
  • Herman Hesse, Gertrud (123 pages)
  • Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Nachtflug (138 pages)
  • Roald Dahl, Kuschelmuschel (124 pages)
  • Martin Suter, Hubert spannt aus und andere Geschichten aus der Business Class (63 pages)
  • Literatur für AussteigerInnen (89 pages)
  • Räuber, Mörder, Sittenstrolche (142 pages)
  • E.T.A. Hoffmann, Der goldene Topf (128 pages)
  • Dorothea Keuler, Undankbare Arbeit (108 pages)
  • Elke Heidenreich, Nero Corleone (88 pages)
  • GRAUKO, Die Schrift II (64 pages)
  • H.W. Longfellow, Evangeline (89 pages) - more like poetry, but who cares?
  • Pamela L. Travers, Mary Poppins (174 pages)
  • Francoise Sagan, Blaue Flecken auf der Seele (191 pages)
  • Francoise Sagan, Bonjour Tristesse (184 pages)
  • Jim Grace, Stadt der Küsse (256 pages)
  • Stefan Grabínski, Das graue Zimmer (369 pages)
  • Andrew Sean Greer, The Confessions of Max Tivoli (267 pages)
  • Gregory Maguire, Mirror Mirror (278 pages)
  • Garth Nix, The Creature in the Case (109 pages)
  • Facts of Life (190 pages) - but really tiny ones. ;)
  • Your shopping list from outer space (44 pages) - hahahaha
  • Neville Randall and Gary Keane, Focus on Fact #5 Unsolved Mysteries (128) - ehehehehe
And let me just add, because they really deserve to be read after waiting for so long:
  • Terry Pratchett, The Last Hero
  • Alan Moore, V for Vendetta
Now, this is a long  list, I just realise, because the books piled on top of each other aren't really that high. As you can see, most of them are less than 200 pages, several of them even less than 100. Now, the rule is, either I read them this summer or they go. None of them go back into the shelves I took them from (unless I read them and they are excellent, as I said before). If I start any of them and don't like them enough to continue, they go, and they don't count.
There's some amongst that list that I've been meaning to read for ages, and some that I don't really care about massively, but have some vague interest in, and some I already started at some point but never finished, and some surprise ones which just ended up with me because they sound fun. I just made a count, there's 31 books in that list. If I manage all of that, I should be well settled for my goal. :)
And I think reading something light and easy will also be quite nice, because...right now I'm in the middle of Kraken by China Miéville, and it is many things, but it's definitely not light, and definitely not easy. ;)

Edit (2/9/2012): Reading them in the summer might have been a bit idealistic/naive. I give them until the end of the year. 

1 Kommentar:

Anonym hat gesagt…

ahahaha -- i see a flurry of journal entries coming my way!

also: it certainly feels like Y should count for more than one book. i've been reading for, like, three days straight, and still have only 2/3 covered. and at first i thought "it's only pictures, this should be quick..." *sigh* i really know nothing about graphic novels, don't i? :)