Mittwoch, Mai 09, 2012

Easy work

There are several ways in which to receive new titles.

You can go to university and get a degree, and people (at least in Austria) will use it to refer to you. This can be as easy or hard as your course of study and your disposition towards studying makes it.
You can go into politics and be elected and get a title, and people will generally use it to refer to you, and whether it is hard or not to achieve this, I have no idea.
You can be born into royalty and to most people you will only ever be your title. I suppose getting this is easy, but rare.
You can, I suppose, also get married to someone with such a title and people will sometimes use the same to refer to you or, in the case of royalty, you'll get your own. Again, I don't know how easy or not this may be.

The most interesting, however, seem to be family titles. There are some you are born with (son, daughter, grandchild, sometimes niece/nephew or cousin), some you may later achieve (mother, father). And then there are some you can't do anything about and it is entirely up to other people whether you get them (sister, brother, aunt, uncle, grandparent, cousin).

Now, I've been some of these for a long time (daughter, sister, niece, cousin), and I think I know how to deal with them, they are familiar. They have been with me for decades.
Yesterday, I officially gained a new one. One which you have to wait for for a while (30 years? Ok!), one which you can't control (so yes, I didn't suddenly get married), and which I gained without doing any work myself. Still, I can't help feeling happy, and sort of proud, and excited. This is going to be so much fun.

Call me Auntie. Little Leo has arrived.



 (Being the game nerd that I am, this is the first thing that came to mind...I'll let you know later what the second thing was...)

Keine Kommentare: